Reading is the basic building block to success in all aspects of life. Book ownership, being read to, and seeing others in your life read and enjoy reading are all essential in strengthening your skills. OO-USA supports these actions with the added bonus of teaching important life skills to help children develop socially and academically.
OO-USA uses specially selected books about animals and the environment that have been chosen for their themes and relevance to children's own experiences.
Operation Outreach-USA is free to schools and is sponsored by foundations, corporations, small businesses, civic groups and individuals at a cost of $300 per classroom.
- Students receive two books to use in the classroom and to keep and take home
- Bookplates highlighting the program sponsor are included. Students sign their names, place them in their two gift books, and pledge "to be kind to people, animals and the environment".
- Teachers receive books for the classroom library and grade-level lesson plans to easily integrate the OO-USA themes across the curriculum.
- Parents receive bilingual guides for each book to reinforce concepts their children have learned in school.
- Accelerated Reader Quizzes are available for most of the OO-USA books.